Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Let's See Who Can Figure This (Turbo Area) Noise

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Let's See Who Can Figure This (Turbo Area) Noise

1st post here but long time lurker!

2016 3500 Aisin SRW bought new, haul RVs. Just turned 588K ...

This noise just started about a few weeks ago.

Well maybe unrelated but a louder intermittent tick near turbo area ( vid of that also) but what is getting to me more is a loud metallic " snap-ping?" noise which happens anytime the truck gets over 100 degrees, while Idling, driving, cooldown and even does it once or twice after shutdown!

Here's the kicker, the engine is running great, turbo is building boost normally and the exhaust brake still working fine.

The noise can happen anywhere from a minute to 5 mins apart.

I cannot find any apparent exhaust leaks or cracks.

I have been told maybe the vanes are getting stuck then snap back but wouldn't that effect boost-brake?

Wheel end play is still in spec.

Either way I am prepared to drop $ on a BD screamer replacement but something is telling me the turbo may still be fine?

It is the original turbo and at 588k it owes me nothing at this point.

I have driven it 3k so far with this intermittent sound.

What else could it be?

It just doesn't make sense to be mechanical especially if it does it after shutdown (with and without the VGT unplugged) when I hold socket extensions up to the actuator and my ear it " seems" to come from that area.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Let's See Who Can Figure This (Turbo Area) Noise

Quote Originally Posted by DragginTrain View Post
    1st post here but long time lurker!

2016 3500 Aisin SRW bought new, haul RVs. Just turned 588K ...

This noise just started about a few weeks ago.

Well maybe unrelated but a louder intermittent tick near turbo area ( vid of that also) but what is getting to me more is a loud metallic " snap-ping?" noise which happens anytime the truck gets over 100 degrees, while Idling, driving, cooldown and even does it once or twice after shutdown!

Here's the kicker, the engine is running great, turbo is building boost normally and the exhaust brake still working fine.

The noise can happen anywhere from a minute to 5 mins apart.

I cannot find any apparent exhaust leaks or cracks.

I have been told maybe the vanes are getting stuck then snap back but wouldn't that effect boost-brake?

Wheel end play is still in spec.

Either way I am prepared to drop $ on a BD screamer replacement but something is telling me the turbo may still be fine?

It is the original turbo and at 588k it owes me nothing at this point.

I have driven it 3k so far with this intermittent sound.

What else could it be?

It just doesn't make sense to be mechanical especially if it does it after shutdown (with and without the VGT unplugged) when I hold socket extensions up to the actuator and my ear it " seems" to come from that area.

Welcome friend! 588k is impressive!

Sounds like maybe an actuator gear tooth maybe worn out and is slipping a little.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

AC compressor clutch.

Mine did the same.

5. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Just a hunch.

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerDave View Post
    AC compressor clutch.

Mine did the same.
    Yep.

Had it happen on 2 of mine.

Sounds about right, especially if engine performance isn’t really affected.

Take the belt off the tensioner and check the free play in the clutch and the bearing on the a/c compressor.

I bet that’s the problem but I had a tensioner assembly make weird noises on my ‘14 so who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by easttxram View Post
    Yep.

Had it happen on 2 of mine.

Sounds about right, especially if engine performance isn’t really affected.

Take the belt off the tensioner and check the free play in the clutch and the bearing on the a/c compressor.

I bet that’s the problem but I had a tensioner assembly make weird noises on my ‘14 so who knows.

So I replaced my water pump belt and tensioner every year whether it needs it or not.

Just did it 25k ago.

AC still working fine not doubting it could be the compressor but why in the world would it make the noise after the engine is shut off for about 10 minutes at random.

It does seem to be temperature sensitive it won't start making that loud ping until the engine is about over 130.

It will do it anywhere from one to three times after I shut down.

It's just baffling me to no end.

Compressor clicks on and off normally with minimal noise just the normal slight audible tick.

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

So I replaced my water pump belt and tensioner every year whether it needs it or not.

Just did it 25k ago.

AC still working fine not doubting it could be the compressor but why in the world would it make the noise after the engine is shut off for about 10 minutes at random.

It does seem to be temperature sensitive it won't start making that loud ping until the engine is about over 130.

It will do it anywhere from one to three times after I shut down.

It's just baffling me to no end.

Compressor clicks on and off normally with minimal noise just the normal slight audible tick.
    It does it with the engine off, for 10 minutes?
    If that’s the case, it’s something cooling down. Probably the exhaust manifold. I actually had one warp on a 2008 4500. It’ll make weird noises. I’m starting to think you got a gremlin running around in that thing.

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Well it's definitely not the AC compressor.

Trying to nail it down pretty much anytime the motor is over a hundred degrees it will do it idling running down the road, sitting at idle cooling back down and once or twice after shut down.

Drove it another 2k still no issues.

Leaning towards the exhaust but wouldn't I hear it puffing all the time while running?.

Like right now I just got home and it's cooling down at all I can hear is the very light tap tap of the metal Cooling.

Looked all around and I can't find soot coming out of anywhere.

I would think it would take a little more than a hundred and fifty degrees to make noise from fluctuating metal but I don't know much about that.

Trying another test right now as soon as I shut down I disconnected the batteries to rule out anything electrical but I'm not sure what other solenoids are on the right side of the motor.

The noise still happens with the VGT unplugged on the turbo.

My mechanic says run it till something happens LOL..

I mean I guess it could make this noise forever I don't want to replace the turbo if it isn't ready yet.

As soon as the actuator starts acting up it's going to get a new manifold turbo and turbo back exhaust might as well do it all.

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by easttxram View Post
    It does it with the engine off, for 10 minutes?
    If that’s the case, it’s something cooling down.

x2

Well it's definitely not the AC compressor.

Trying to nail it down pretty much anytime the motor is over a hundred degrees it will do it idling running down the road, sitting at idle cooling back down and once or twice after shut down.

Drove it another 2k still no issues.

Leaning towards the exhaust but wouldn't I hear it puffing all the time while running?.

Like right now I just got home and it's cooling down at all I can hear is the very light tap tap of the metal Cooling.

Looked all around and I can't find soot coming out of anywhere.

I would think it would take a little more than a hundred and fifty degrees to make noise from fluctuating metal but I don't know much about that.

Trying another test right now as soon as I shut down I disconnected the batteries to rule out anything electrical but I'm not sure what other solenoids are on the right side of the motor.

The noise still happens with the VGT unplugged on the turbo.

My mechanic says run it till something happens LOL..

I mean I guess it could make this noise forever I don't want to replace the turbo if it isn't ready yet.

As soon as the actuator starts acting up it's going to get a new manifold turbo and turbo back exhaust might as well do it all.
    If it isn't throwing any turbo codes or you're not having an boost/exhaust brake issues I'd just drive it.

Keep me in mind when it comes manifold & actuator time as we're only 1 of 2 City Diesel dealers.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post