Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering upgrade

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Steering upgrade

Ok so I'm going to do the steering upgrade swap this coming weekend. I know I'll need an alignment done when I'm done. What is everyone's experience and suggestions to get it back to close to dead center? It'll be a week before I'm able to get it the shop for the alignment. Also any tips and suggestions on how to make this a smooth install is greatly appreciated.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: Steering upgrade

Wow 2 dozen views with no suggestions and tips on how to make this swap go smooth.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Permanent Vacation Diesel Dawgs Performance's Avatar

User Info Menu

What all parts are you upgrading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Dawgs Performance View Post
    What all parts are you upgrading?

Not sure what the name of all the parts.

I'm swapping out the entire steering linkage. Going from the old Y style to the improved T style steering. Also changing the pitman arm to match the new T style steering along with steering stabilizer.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation Diesel Dawgs Performance's Avatar

User Info Menu

The steering stabilizer helps keeps things tight. I've also done several Luke's Links.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Gear box stabilizer

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    Gear box stabilizer
    I have a bent steel on there now. Will be swapping it out with a square tube unit.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'm mainly just wanting to know any tips or tricks to make it a smooth remove and install.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I can only recommend spraying a light lube on the nuts and have real good wrenches/sockets when starting. If any nuts gets all the good/bad weather, it's those. When I last worked on those nuts, I had to tap the wrench with a hammer to vibrate them loose enough to remove. If you can get the recommended measurements between parts, it helps to get a good rough alienment to get to shop. When done, don't drive until its only to the shop for alignment .. and go slow no matter what.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

If changing the pitman arm, get a pitman arm tool.
    I just did my steering gearbox and shaft assy, that got rid of a lot of slop in the steering. I went with a Red-Head box and a Borgeson shaft.
    Once I replace the wheel bearing and brakes, I'll be doing the same thing you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast