Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OBD2 Port issues

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

OBD2 Port issues

I have a 12 ram 2500 6.7 with a ultra on it and I keep losing connection through the obd port. I have to play with plugging the ultra in to get it to connect again for tuning. I am guess the port is needing replaced at this point for some reason. I was told that the whole harness and port would need replacing but I have seen obs2 replacement ports that splice in just not sure if that would be something I should do or spend the cash to replace it all. Was hoping maybe someone has had this issue before. Thx in advance fir any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: OBD2 Port issues

Quote Originally Posted by BillyS85 View Post
    I have a 12 ram 2500 6.7 with a ultra on it and I keep losing connection through the obd port. I have to play with plugging the ultra in to get it to connect again for tuning. I am guess the port is needing replaced at this point for some reason. I was told that the whole harness and port would need replacing but I have seen obs2 replacement ports that splice in just not sure if that would be something I should do or spend the cash to replace it all. Was hoping maybe someone has had this issue before. Thx in advance fir any help.

That sounds kind of funny to me bud I have a 2012 I don’t have a lick of a problem you may have something wrong with your cable connection or your Ultra the supplied cable that they supplied with your tuner I would get another one and try that first or maybe you might even have a bad tuner good luck You might even want to if your able to go ahead and buy the MM3 from Ray at DRD as in that is the best tuner and he is the best tuning man in the buisness hands down end of story

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

You're sure it's not the cable to the display? I'm having issues with my MM3 and even though it says it's issues with the obd connection, I know it's the usb because I accidentally smashed it and haven't replaced the usb yet.

2015 Ram 2500 with a majestic 6.7 Cummins and 68RFE. Fully deleted with MM3 and tunes from DoubleRDiesel. 5" Flo-Pro exhaust. S&B cold air intake. Custom sound system by Me. Proud American.

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Can you describe how it's loosing connection? For example the ultra comes on when you turn the key to the run position and then when I start the truck it looses connection then it locks up, or just driving down the road it just turns off. Hray

8. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

OBD2 Port issues

Quote Originally Posted by hray View Post
    Can you describe how it's loosing connection? For example the ultra comes on when you turn the key to the run position and then when I start the truck it looses connection then it locks up, or just driving down the road it just turns off. Hray
    When I turn the truck on. I have it set to send the file every startup. When it goes to saying real-time active then pops up error 14000 communication issue. Then I play with the obd2 connection and it will allow it to communicate. I also had a xrt pro on this truck first that came with it when I bought it. And it would lockup and quit downloading to the ecm sometimes when I would install and would have to unplug it also and plug it back in and get it to go to recovery mode to start flashing it again. The ultra isn’t the first tuner I’ve had issues with on it I guess.

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

When I turn the truck on. I have it set to send the file every startup. When it goes to saying real-time active then pops up error 14000 communication issue. Then I play with the obd2 connection and it will allow it to communicate. I also had a xrt pro on this truck first that came with it when I bought it. And it would lockup and quit downloading to the ecm sometimes when I would install and would have to unplug it also and plug it back in and get it to go to recovery mode to start flashing it again. The ultra isn’t the first tuner I’ve had issues with on it I guess.

Try waking it up by touching the screen prior to Key On. I was having similar issues with my Ultra until I upgraded to the latest firmware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

In my experience and what I have read these units can be fickle on the volts provided by the batteries. My example I was having intermittent issues with the unit locking up / flashing the red then green lights until I would unplug OBD then plug it back in. It went like this, I would turn the key on, ultra started up fine, what several seconds until the dinging and idiot lights go out, turn the truck over, truck would start, ultra would loose power then restart, some times it would and some times it would lock up and flash the red then green lights until I unplugged it and plug it back in. It turned out to be a bad battery ( passenger side 7 months Old). Replaced battery and all is fine, the ultra now never shuts off during the cranking of truck. So to your issue, It is possible that you are loosing connection when your turning over the truck, you will have to pay particular attention of your start up to rule out if its happening when you turn the truck over or not. I don't know all the particulars of when its doing it but it seems that way. Standard trouble shooting, load test battery, check terminals, and go from there. Hray

13. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtipton View Post
    Try waking it up by touching the screen prior to Key On. I was having similar issues with my Ultra until I upgraded to the latest firmware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ok I have mine updated to the latest also. RamE007c

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hray View Post
    In my experience and what I have read these units can be fickle on the volts provided by the batteries. My example I was having intermittent issues with the unit locking up / flashing the red then green lights until I would unplug OBD then plug it back in. It went like this, I would turn the key on, ultra started up fine, what several seconds until the dinging and idiot lights go out, turn the truck over, truck would start, ultra would loose power then restart, some times it would and some times it would lock up and flash the red then green lights until I unplugged it and plug it back in. It turned out to be a bad battery ( passenger side 7 months Old). Replaced battery and all is fine, the ultra now never shuts off during the cranking of truck. So to your issue, It is possible that you are loosing connection when your turning over the truck, you will have to pay particular attention of your start up to rule out if its happening when you turn the truck over or not. I don't know all the particulars of when its doing it but it seems that way. Standard trouble shooting, load test battery, check terminals, and go from there. Hray
    Got ya. When I crank the truck over on startup the unit never goes off or any weird stuff like yours did. When I turn the key on as you know the unit comes on and pops up real-time active please wait. So I crank it over so it can finish the RT process then that’s when it will pop up error 14000 connection error

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

OK, copy. This is what I would do. You are using the RT start up at every key cycle so, I would reload what ever RT flash at every cycle you use as your primary base tune and if you do change or use real time tuning don't save it as every key on just one time and see how your start up process goes from there. Could be a software glitch with the SD card and key on at every cycle. Hray

19. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast