Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: emissions tuning

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

emissions tuning

anyone found a source for emissions intact tuning? I am looking to get a Raceme ultra, but can you get a boost in MPG without a delete? Anything that would improve the fuel burn would increase mileage. I have been reading posts about Archoil additive and if it can boost me 1.5- 2 mpg over maybe 3-5 with the delete, it would cost far less to stay away from the delete and be "legal". Lots of people did the delete and they say they barely got any improvement if at all.

The happier insides of the engine can't be seen and will not show up for several years of trouble free operation at best. If the engine burns cleaner it will not get the progressive damage from feeding it exhaust. The trans upgrade can be done without engine mods from what I understand. I picked up a 2011 and get almost 2mpg less than a 07.5 I had a year ago, so I am behind what I was hoping for.

I know the deletes are "sexier" and "where it's at" but I also know people would pay for mpg help without taking things off. The sad thing is, the DEF does make a cleaner gas out the back but won't work without the DPF intact. Lets face it, the biggest reason people delete is to try and save fuel while making power.

I work on diesels for a living, so I have had extensive training in DPF, DEF, and EGR systems since they were new. I will say, we have installed PDI kits on several over the road trucks and all the drivers got an improvement in MPG and no more down time, but it costs upwards of $15k to do a big truck correctly.

Looking for alternatives, not "just delete and be happy". I freely admit a delete would make ME happy, but also facing the real possibility of having to put it all back on in the near future. The government is still trying to figure out the wording on a mandatory yearly inspection for emissions stock road vehicles. Europe has cleaner engines, but they do it without the "equipment" mandated by our government. Volvo heavy trucks don't do a Regen and still have a DPF working on them. In the rest of the world what comes out the tail pipe is all that matters, what's wrong with our gov?

Sorry to go on so long, but this has been heavy on my mind of late. Thanks for your patience.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with driving an emissions intact truck. That is the beauty of owning your own truck... You can mod it like you want it. Your opinion is the only one that really matters.

As for emissions intact tuning you have several options these days. Smarty touch is an emissions compliant tuner. I know several guys that ran the Edge JWA and we're happy with the results. The RaceME box tunes are delete only but I am betting that emissions intact tuning will be possible with WARP. I also read about a few EFI Live tuners have had good results with emissions intact tuning.

Now, it is hard to tell how much mpg gain comes with these options. For sure it won't be as much as deletes can net but like you said, not everyone that deletes see a gain in MPGs.

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Thanks Polaraco, AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco, AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

As of right now raceme will be delete only. Once custom tuning is released a tuner maybe able to write an emissions intact tune @Double R Diesel

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TX NIGHT TRAIN View Post
    As of right now raceme will be delete only. Once custom tuning is released a tuner maybe able to write an emissions intact tune @Double R Diesel
    With Warp, emissions intact tuning will be possible. Matter of fact that's probably where I'm headed. Once funds allow me to purchase another truck, I'm thinking I'm gonna see just how efficient and also how powerful I can make an emissions intact truck run!👌

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 68muleteem View Post
    anyone found a source for emissions intact tuning? I am looking to get a Raceme ultra, but can you get a boost in MPG without a delete? Anything that would improve the fuel burn would increase mileage. I have been reading posts about Archoil additive and if it can boost me 1.5- 2 mpg over maybe 3-5 with the delete, it would cost far less to stay away from the delete and be "legal". Lots of people did the delete and they say they barely got any improvement if at all.

The happier insides of the engine can't be seen and will not show up for several years of trouble free operation at best. If the engine burns cleaner it will not get the progressive damage from feeding it exhaust. The trans upgrade can be done without engine mods from what I understand. I picked up a 2011 and get almost 2mpg less than a 07.5 I had a year ago, so I am behind what I was hoping for.

I know the deletes are "sexier" and "where it's at" but I also know people would pay for mpg help without taking things off. The sad thing is, the DEF does make a cleaner gas out the back but won't work without the DPF intact. Lets face it, the biggest reason people delete is to try and save fuel while making power.

I work on diesels for a living, so I have had extensive training in DPF, DEF, and EGR systems since they were new. I will say, we have installed PDI kits on several over the road trucks and all the drivers got an improvement in MPG and no more down time, but it costs upwards of $15k to do a big truck correctly.

Looking for alternatives, not "just delete and be happy". I freely admit a delete would make ME happy, but also facing the real possibility of having to put it all back on in the near future. The government is still trying to figure out the wording on a mandatory yearly inspection for emissions stock road vehicles. Europe has cleaner engines, but they do it without the "equipment" mandated by our government. Volvo heavy trucks don't do a Regen and still have a DPF working on them. In the rest of the world what comes out the tail pipe is all that matters, what's wrong with our gov?

Sorry to go on so long, but this has been heavy on my mind of late. Thanks for your patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Nothing wrong with driving an emissions intact truck. That is the beauty of owning your own truck... You can mod it like you want it. Your opinion is the only one that really matters.

As for emissions intact tuning you have several options these days. Smarty touch is an emissions compliant tuner. I know several guys that ran the Edge JWA and we're happy with the results. The RaceME box tunes are delete only but I am betting that emissions intact tuning will be possible with WARP. I also read about a few EFI Live tuners have had good results with emissions intact tuning.

Now, it is hard to tell how much mpg gain comes with these options. For sure it won't be as much as deletes can net but like you said, not everyone that deletes see a gain in MPGs.

Greg
    WELL SAID

Quote Originally Posted by TX NIGHT TRAIN View Post
    Yeah. The king of RaceMe tuning @Double R Diesel might be able to figure it out. The only down side I can see is it may effect the gas discharge. If you get sniffed in your state running a modified tune may be good for you and bad for the tree huggers

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes DRD liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I see where your getting at and can relate. I deleted like you stated, for the fact of better mpg and no more Regens. I work hard for my money and my truck was bookoo expensive and want the most out of it as i can. After tearing down my old ford 300 6'r and seeing the black buildup from that egr i surely didnt want to run a diesel with one.

i am curious to where this goes. I wont go back with my emissions crap but MY purpose was not for a drag truck or sled truck but a clean breathing reliable truck without considering emissions. I am a believer in less is more.

I work in the power industry and the epa has made me my living for me with all the scr's, bag houses, and new natural gas plants being built to compensate for the changing emissions standards, which is also why our electricity bills never quit climbing( not going there) but regulating everyday vehicles i think is ridiculous And should not be mandatory! IMO

Rant over!

10. Likes Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    WELL SAID

Yeah. The king of RaceMe tuning @Double R Diesel might be able to figure it out. The only down side I can see is it may effect the gas discharge. If you get sniffed in your state running a modified tune may be good for you and bad for the tree huggers

Possibly if you hav OTF you can quickly retune for a "sniff"

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I know it's late and getting ready for bed, but WOW!!! all these reply's and not one ARE YOU NUTS????

Thank you guys!!!! Makes me feel like I belong!!!

Something else I was thinking about. Has anyone tried going down on power, I meen like under 300hp? Cousin has a 2003 that was CAL emission at 250 and got 28mpg, then had it reflashed to I believe non CAL and got more seat power but 24mpg. The old 6.2 or even the 5.7 GM engines didn't make 200hp and got over 20 all day but had trouble getting out of their own way. For a daily driver not a big deal, and the beauty is you can turn it up when needed without messing with the pump!!

Can we also add comments about if the trans tuning helped any?

Thanks and keep the comments coming!!!

P.S. Just to be fare, still planning on placing an order with doublerdiesel and maybe we can update when he gets a new tune set up for this in the future.

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

LOL!!!! This place is a lot different than some of the others

I can honestly say that I never thought to ask Ray for a tune with less power. The thought never crossed my mind, but I get where you are thinking. I will be interested if that pans out.

IMO if you are going to to any tuning at all and have the 68RFE transmission you should tune that as well. I love the transmission tuning Ray set up on my truck. It made a night and day difference.

Greg

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Ray, Please do an emissions intact tuning and I will be the first at your door.......

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    With Warp, emissions intact tuning will be possible. Matter of fact that's probably where I'm headed. Once funds allow me to purchase another truck, I'm thinking I'm gonna see just how efficient and also how powerful I can make an emissions intact truck run!

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

2015 3500 Mega DRW Aisan Deep Cherry Red

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast