Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head studs question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Head studs question

I was talking to a mechanic at the dealership I work at. He's currently changing a head gasket on a truck and I told him the guy should have head studs. The technician then told me that it wouldn't matter, and that it's not a clamping issue but a heat issue. I'm looking for everyone's thoughts on this. I would assume everyone studs the head in order to prevent the head gasket failure and wouldn't recommend it if it didn't do anything. Thanks in advance.

2014 CCSB ● Fuel Hostage 18x9 -1 ● Toyo Open Country A/T II Extreme ● Leveling kit ● DPF/SCR/EGR deletes ● RaceME Ultra w/ Pyro ● 4 inch Flo-Pro Exhaust ● ARP 425 Head Studs

2. Thanks Cummins7 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

well I guess it keeps him in work LOL
    seen a few head gaskets blown and as far as i am concerned its because of not enough clamping force and can't contain the cylinder pressure
    but I not so smart

4. Thanks huskee05 thanked for this post
    Likes oneshotkyle, Polaraco liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Heat can be a part of the equation, especially if head temps went high enough to warp the head during a coolant system failure. However, most blown 6.7 gaskets are from excess cylinder pressure. I've seen head bolts that were stretched enough to allow the gasket to blow. Studs do allow for more clamping force and allow for less stretch, which does save a head gasket.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Thanks huskee05, oneshotkyle thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Right. Heat can be part of it, but say a smarter person was operating the vehicle and monitored temps, it shouldn't be.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2014 CCSB ● Fuel Hostage 18x9 -1 ● Toyo Open Country A/T II Extreme ● Leveling kit ● DPF/SCR/EGR deletes ● RaceME Ultra w/ Pyro ● 4 inch Flo-Pro Exhaust ● ARP 425 Head Studs

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Dealership mechanics.....

9. Likes huskee05, oneshotkyle, Shane G., Polaraco liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

@Double R Diesel hits it on the heads. High pressures will always make/have heat and the two are very dangerious to your engine.

I asked an engineer before I retired to verified what I hoped was the answer.
    (Sometimes a person likes being right once in their life)
    Expansion/Contraction of the metals due to pressure AND heat over time weakends and strech the metal.
    Original studs 'can be' retorqued, but are of a less quality of material, thus replaced over time.
    Studs used to replace the originals are made of a higher quality material and have to ability of being retorqued several times by maintaining specific length.
    So due to the quality of metals, the original studs are more or less designed for eventual replacement.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

11. Thanks huskee05, TH-64 thanked for this post
    Likes huskee05, TH-64, Noneck, oneshotkyle liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I was told not to do the studs at the shop buy my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    Heat can be a part of the equation, especially if head temps went high enough to warp the head during a coolant system failure. However, most blown 6.7 gaskets are from excess cylinder pressure. I've seen head bolts that were stretched enough to allow the gasket to blow. Studs do allow for more clamping force and allow for less stretch, which does save a head gasket.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    I was told not to do the studs, my local shop by my house told me if i want a guaranteed fix i should have my heads fire ringed.

13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K-Sons View Post
    well I guess it keeps him in work LOL
    seen a few head gaskets blown and as far as i am concerned its because of not enough clamping force and can't contain the cylinder pressure
    but I not so smart
    That's what you think buster.

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    @Double R Diesel hits it on the heads. High pressures will always make/have heat and the two are very dangerious to your engine.

I asked an engineer before I retired to verified what I hoped was the answer.
    (Sometimes a person likes being right once in their life)
    Expansion/Contraction of the metals due to pressure AND heat over time weakends and strech the metal.
    Original studs 'can be' retorqued, but are of a less quality of material, thus replaced over time.
    Studs used to replace the originals are made of a higher quality material and have to ability of being retorqued several times by maintaining specific length.
    So due to the quality of metals, the original studs are more or less designed for eventual replacement.
    That is 100% correct. That's one of the reasons why there was so much trouble with aluminum heads on the gassers.

These engines are tested with continuous running. Hour after hour, mile after mile. Have you ever noticed a young car with lots of miles has very little trouble? They're not tested in an environment like mine. A light every 1/4 mile and a hundred Honda's under foot.

It's interesting. I looked at the service intervals and items on the 5.9. Not one mention of the head studs. High boosts and showing off usually is the culprit for a head gasket. Cummins has it down pretty good. In poking around over the years, Ram's are the biggest gasket gobblers. It's all those tuners and add ons.

My truck is running so clean, my boost is low. I cruise on the flats at 3 PSI on the flats.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Thanks AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

@Polaraco hit the main problem in one sentence ..... "It's all those tuners and add ons."

It seems to me that when these are added, the younger person in us comes out and we deside that our 9,000 truck can be a 'vette and our foot can't stay off the skinny pedal and eventually our
    head gaskets or other parts tell us to slow down.

The child in us ... Will We Ever Learn ? (for many .. more than likely not)

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

16. Likes Power247, LB Heating, Polaraco liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    @Polaraco hit the main problem in one sentence ..... "It's all those tuners and add ons."

It seems to me that when these are added, the younger person in us comes out and we deside that our 9,000 truck can be a 'vette and our foot can't stay off the skinny pedal and eventually our
    head gaskets or other parts tell us to slow down.

The child in us ... Will We Ever Learn ? (for many .. more than likely not)

I see some of us are still large children. LOL I have a Smarty like you. I can't use my performance because I'll run over someone. But I did go to North Carolina last week and got 24.7 MPG though

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

18. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast