Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Revmax 68RFE for Towing

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Revmax 68RFE for Towing

Hello all,

I have a question about towing, I keep hearing and reading about not towing in the overdrive gears with much load or weight. Does this still hold true if you were to install a Revmax 550, 700 or 850?

Thanks,

Will

2. Likes Jaxonsram liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Revmax 68RFE for Towing

I was told if loaded, it can over stress any auto trans and best to keep the rpms slightly up, and that's out of OD gear. But I can be wrong ...

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes Jaxonsram liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The reason some say not to tow in overdriveis because the overdrive section of the transmission was not built as strong asthe rest of the transmission.

If its gear hunting get out of OD. If itsholding high gear, then leave it on.
    If the converter is locked the trans willrun cool.
    It is about RPM, If you are not running1800-2000 or more, depending on load run it in OD, if the trans is wanting toshift a lot and you cant

Maintain a certain RPM or speed then do notrun in OD. Have you started to monitoryour tranny temps to learn what is normal and your average for driving. Should monitorthose temps if you are towing. Should monitor those temps not towing regardlessif you are in lock up or overdive.

So with any aftermarket valve body or TQconverter first off they need to be built and matched to your need for yourtruck. So make sure you buy what isappropriate for your truck, mods and needs. Even with having aftermarket VB andTQ converter, you still will have a cooler tranny when the TQ is locked.

Do some research. Revmax has a tech 101 area and explains thebasics. I believe the trucks manualexplains similar info.

Will aftermarket parts make it smoother,quicker shifts, firmer, cooler, more efficient, possible better MPG, lessclutch slip,
    Yes to all of that. Will it strengthen the stock OD gear that is weakerdue to design . NO .
    Can you drive and tow in OD yes. Just need to learn when and how.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

6. Thanks AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes AnOldBiker, allbizns liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I was told if loaded, it can over stress any auto trans and best to keep the rpms slightly up, and that's out of OD gear. But I can be wrong ...
    Thank you for the reply. that was my thoughts from what I've been told.

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    The reason some say not to tow in overdriveis because the overdrive section of the transmission was not built as strong asthe rest of the transmission.

If its gear hunting get out of OD. If itsholding high gear, then leave it on.
    If the converter is locked the trans willrun cool.
    It is about RPM, If you are not running1800-2000 or more, depending on load run it in OD, if the trans is wanting toshift a lot and you cant

Maintain a certain RPM or speed then do notrun in OD. Have you started to monitoryour tranny temps to learn what is normal and your average for driving. Should monitorthose temps if you are towing. Should monitor those temps not towing regardlessif you are in lock up or overdive.

So with any aftermarket valve body or TQconverter first off they need to be built and matched to your need for yourtruck. So make sure you buy what isappropriate for your truck, mods and needs. Even with having aftermarket VB andTQ converter, you still will have a cooler tranny when the TQ is locked.

Do some research. Revmax has a tech 101 area and explains thebasics. I believe the trucks manualexplains similar info.

Will aftermarket parts make it smoother,quicker shifts, firmer, cooler, more efficient, possible better MPG, lessclutch slip,
    Yes to all of that. Will it strengthen the stock OD gear that is weakerdue to design . NO .
    Can you drive and tow in OD yes. Just need to learn when and how.
    I appreciate the info, this clears things up better.
    I have been monitoring the Trans temps when i drive, i towed a light trailer last week, maybe 2-3000 lbs if that, and i stayed in drive and the temps never got out of normal range, say around 160-175 at most. I used the tow mode along with the exhaust brake. drove 65-70 mph most of the way and then bumped it up to 75 for a little ways, pulled great and never any issues.
    I will be starting to towing heavier this year and just wanted to be prepared for the heavier loads as to leaving it in drive or start to use the manual mode to lock out 6th or 5th if need be.
    Weight should start approaching 12-15k lbs.

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

RevMax 550 here with the ultra-low stall and billet flexplate. I tow in 6th but if it’s hunting gears I’ll drop it in 5th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

10. Likes InlineSix.7 liked this post