Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Air Filter Housing Door Actuation

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Air Filter Housing Door Actuation

Tuned '17 2500. Sorry if this has been addressed, couldn't find it. So...the oem (and my current S&B) air filter housing has an actuator door that apparently switches air intake sources. Under what conditions does this door move from one source to the other? And why wouldn't a fella just unplug it and ensure the front source is open? And what do ya'll think about running it without the top (cover) installed?

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Air Filter Housing Door Actuation

Never mind....

"Ram Active Air is a brand-new intake system developed for the ’13 Ram HD. Under normal driving conditions, the engine will draw in air from an inlet in the engine compartment (near the passenger wheelwell opening). However, when the engine’s monitoring system detects extreme heat, high intake air temperatures, extreme load, or high altitudes (just to name a few of the parameters taken into consideration), the Active Air intake will close off the fender-side air duct and open a ram-air duct that is mounted behind the grille, allowing cooler air to be ingested by the engine. When conditions are wet from snow, ice, or water fording, the system will only pull air from the underhood inlet to avoid anything other than air from making it into the intake tract."

4. Likes Power247, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have the S&B cold air intake as well. I've thought of running it without the Plexiglas cover. I don't think it would set off any engine warnings and the way the filter is connected to the intake tube, it would be just as protected as my motorcycle that has a smaller version of the same filter style.

6. Likes watersupply189, jeepmanjr, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ed's2013Ram3500 View Post
    I have the S&B cold air intake as well. I've thought of running it without the Plexiglas cover. I don't think it would set off any engine warnings and the way the filter is connected to the intake tube, it would be just as protected as my motorcycle that has a smaller version of the same filter style.
    Well...I took mine off for a days and after some researching and giving it some thought I replaced it. I know it's working because I get bees and other insects on the outside of the filter most likely ingested while the the front intake was open. Some fellas were talking about how it can pull hot, underhood air into the system by pulling the cover. Seems to me that kinda defeats the purpose of having the active air box. So...FWIW. ;-)

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the follow up. That makes sense. My motorcycle wouldn't be affected the same way.

9. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, jeepmanjr liked this post