Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C Evaporator

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

A/C Evaporator

Three years (almost to the day) after I bought my 2500 my A/C evaporator acquired a leak and to my horror I learned that the entire dash had to be removed to get to it. Shop supposedly replaced with OEM evaporator and 3 years later (again, almost to the day) my evaporator has sprung yet another leak. So my question is, is that about average life span, 3 years? And surely by now someone has come up with a better aftermarket evaporator. Anyone else have this issue this frequent? I live in a very hot part of the world, but still!

Thanks

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: A/C Evaporator

Quote Originally Posted by nlindelldc View Post
    Three years (almost to the day) after I bought my 2500 my A/C evaporator acquired a leak and to my horror I learned that the entire dash had to be removed to get to it. Shop supposedly replaced with OEM evaporator and 3 years later (again, almost to the day) my evaporator has sprung yet another leak. So my question is, is that about average life span, 3 years? And surely by now someone has come up with a better aftermarket evaporator. Anyone else have this issue this frequent? I live in a very hot part of the world, but still!

Thanks
    Welcome friend!! Sorry I never had that problem but I’m sure someone on here has.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Welcome friend!! Sorry I never had that problem but I’m sure someone on here has.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....
    Thanks for the welcome! I've done a search and have indeed found people who were having to replace their Evaportors by removing the dash but some of them got 10 years out of it first! From what I read 3 years is rather unusual. Seems to me like a horrible design. I also read someone recommending putting a screen or something like that over it so it doesn't suck up as much dirt, hair, etc. Seems when debris sticks after it gets super cold then it begins to cause corrosion. Anyone else have any other thoughts? Is there another place on the forum where I could post this and get a better response? Thanks for any help/advice

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Wouldn't a cab filter kit from Geno's take care of that? I'm not sure... haven't installed one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nlindelldc View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! I've done a search and have indeed found people who were having to replace their Evaportors by removing the dash but some of them got 10 years out of it first! From what I read 3 years is rather unusual. Seems to me like a horrible design. I also read someone recommending putting a screen or something like that over it so it doesn't suck up as much dirt, hair, etc. Seems when debris sticks after it gets super cold then it begins to cause corrosion. Anyone else have any other thoughts? Is there another place on the forum where I could post this and get a better response? Thanks for any help/advice
    Here's another forum I go to for mechanical questions. Good luck! https://www.cumminsforum.com/

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ed's2013Ram3500 View Post
    Here's another forum I go to for mechanical questions. Good luck! https://www.cumminsforum.com/
    Yeah, that's where I started but forgot my password and got locked out

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    Wouldn't a cab filter kit from Geno's take care of that? I'm not sure... haven't installed one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I just Googled this and found what you are referring to! Ordering today and will be installing it ASAP. This kit is worth it's weight in gold even if it doubles my evaporator life to 6 years instead of 3. In thinking about it, I think all of you should have one. For peach of mind if nothing else. Even found a YouTube video for installation. Seems easy enough

13. Likes watersupply189, Ed's2013Ram3500 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost you to have the evaporator replaced?

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ed's2013Ram3500 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost you to have the evaporator replaced?
    $1700. I believe it was around $1500 3 years ago. They said Mopar had changed the design of the Evaporator due to these same issues and the one they just installed was the newer, better design. Don't know if that's true or not but I just ordered the cabin filter and will be installing ASAP

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Awesome! Thanks for the info. It's good to know in case that happens to me down the road. I maintain 5 big trucks (commercial) and the HVAC filters are changed regularly as part of general maintenance. I don't remember having issues with the evaporators (a couple of the trucks have close to a million miles) and keeping the filter changed might be the reason.

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast