Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: 6.7 Head gasket??

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

6.7 Head gasket??

So to make a long story short. I got a call the other day that my wife was in a wreck with our kids. It's about 30 degrees outside and I did not have my truck plugged in. I jumped in and took off not thinking much of letting it warm up and just went.

When I got back home later I went to put windshield washer fluid in the truck and realize my coolant reservoir was completely full and slightly overflowing.

20171211_141209.jpg

I've been keeping an eye on it every time I drive now and I have yet to see it happen again. I was just on a decent drive. I left the truck warm up about 180 degrees and then romped on it for a while reachingabout 197 degrees on the coolant and about 31 PSI boost. I just pulled over and checked again and everything still looks fine.

20171212_140449.jpg

20171212_140616.jpg

I'm not sure what to think. Was it just because the engine was cold in the booth was escaping via the head gasket?

Should I go buy some ARP 625 head studs and throw them in for preventive maintenance since it may possibly be on the fritz?

Should I change coolant and oil to be safe in case there's some cross-contamination?

I just don't know what to think. Every time I saw a head gasket go, it was always bubbling in the coolant reservoir or coolant in the oil but it was always consistent.

2016 2500HD Tradesman, 6.7, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 68RFE, MAG-HYTEC pan, RevMax Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass, RevMax valve body, 4.10, RaceME, Rays tune, HPP EGR/Cooler Delete, XDP Throttle Valve Delete, FloPro 5", 295/65R20 Ridge Grappler

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 6.7 Head gasket??

What year is your truck?

*Ask about becoming a Lifetime Platinum Member Today*

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

A 30 degree start shouldn't hurt anything really. Any excessive bubbling in the overflow or puking out of it?
    Are you still drawing coolant back from the tank to radiator when it cools off

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTACUMMINS View Post
    What year is your truck?

Its in my signature

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    A 30 degree start shouldn't hurt anything really. Any excessive bubbling in the overflow or puking out of it?
    Are you still drawing coolant back from the tank to radiator when it cools off
    No I haven't observed anything except that one time. I haven't noticed any increase/decrease of fluid from hot at shutdown or cold at startup. It did suck it all back in after it cold off that day but no fluctuation in the reservoir since.

2016 2500HD Tradesman, 6.7, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 68RFE, MAG-HYTEC pan, RevMax Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass, RevMax valve body, 4.10, RaceME, Rays tune, HPP EGR/Cooler Delete, XDP Throttle Valve Delete, FloPro 5", 295/65R20 Ridge Grappler

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

How many miles on it?

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Somewhere around 10,600.

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doublejz View Post
    Somewhere around 10,600.
    You see anything milky in the oil cap?

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

So to make a long story short. I got a call the other day that my wife was in a wreck with our kids. It's about 30 degrees outside and I did not have my truck plugged in. I jumped in and took off not thinking much of letting it warm up and just went.

When I got back home later I went to put windshield washer fluid in the truck and realize my coolant reservoir was completely full and slightly overflowing.

20171211_141209.jpg

I've been keeping an eye on it every time I drive now and I have yet to see it happen again. I was just on a decent drive. I left the truck warm up about 180 degrees and then romped on it for a while reachingabout 197 degrees on the coolant and about 31 PSI boost. I just pulled over and checked again and everything still looks fine.

20171212_140449.jpg

20171212_140616.jpg

I'm not sure what to think. Was it just because the engine was cold in the booth was escaping via the head gasket?

Should I go buy some ARP 625 head studs and throw them in for preventive maintenance since it may possibly be on the fritz?

Should I change coolant and oil to be safe in case there's some cross-contamination?

I just don't know what to think. Every time I saw a head gasket go, it was always bubbling in the coolant reservoir or coolant in the oil but it was always consistent.
    What year is your truck?

How many miles on it?
    Somewhere around 10,600.
    Standard procedure here is to include the year, miles and appropriate Mods on the truck when asking for help. It avoids all these questions and we can try to respond faster. Read my signature too. Since I am the guy who fields allot of these, I really appreciate the time savings. That and it keeps this feeble old brain on track of the problem. That's about the only burr I have in the forum. I'll let it slide this time. LOL That's why the call me crabby.

Now to your problem

I can bet you made several short trips that day. The coolant probably expanded, filling the reservoir, but didn't get hot enough to suck it back in. Chances are it was just expansion. That's why those tanks are there. Truck is too new yet. That doesn't mean much, I don't know how you drive. But you saw it because the coolant level was correct or slightly over filled in the tank. I'd say not to worry about it. Check it again after a few trips, JIC. Sounds like you're good to go. As said, 30 Degrees isn't much. Below zero is where you want to give it a few minutes. I never wait for my truck. Like you did, I never wait for the heater either. This is my 14th Cummins and never had an issue. I only plug it in to recharge the batteries after a short trip. I have a 2 amp float charger. I do allot of nearby grocery runs. LOL

BTW, I hope all are OK. Custom by crash can not be fun.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

You see anything milky in the oil cap?
    Nope, looks like it typically does.

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Standard procedure here is to include the year, miles and appropriate Mods on the truck when asking for help. It avoids all these questions and we can try to respond faster. Read my signature too. Since I am the guy who fields allot of these, I really appreciate the time savings. That and it keeps this feeble old brain on track of the problem. That's about the only burr I have in the forum. I'll let it slide this time. LOL That's why the call me crabby.

Now to your problem

I can bet you made several short trips that day. The coolant probably expanded, filling the reservoir, but didn't get hot enough to suck it back in. Chances are it was just expansion. That's why those tanks are there. Truck is too new yet. That doesn't mean much, I don't know how you drive. But you saw it because the coolant level was correct or slightly over filled in the tank. I'd say not to worry about it. Check it again after a few trips, JIC. Sounds like you're good to go. As said, 30 Degrees isn't much. Below zero is where you want to give it a few minutes. I never wait for my truck. Like you did, I never wait for the heater either. This is my 14th Cummins and never had an issue. I only plug it in to recharge the batteries after a short trip. I have a 2 amp float charger. I do allot of nearby grocery runs. LOL

BTW, I hope all are OK. Custom by crash can not be fun.
    Gotchya. Still though everything is in my signature but miles. Either way, I'll try to remember next time. My truck was run earlier that day probably 8 hours previously other than that it was sitting all day.

12. Thanks Polaraco, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

If you don't see anything milky then you should be good.