Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water pump bit the bullet

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Water pump bit the bullet

Friday my water pump started leaking at 101,000 and some change. Popped the belt off and the bearing was failed to the point the shaft was wobbling...lucky I didn't snap the shaft and send the pulley through my fan and radiator. Crappy part is that my truck is part of the pump recall, but there are no updated parts available. I ended up going to O'Riley and picking up a Murray CP6222 for $60. So far so good...we shall see on longevity.

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised as to how easy it was to replace the pump...Cummins must have planned on these failing a lot

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

2. Likes david3gen, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Water pump bit the bullet

Keep your receipt. Under any recall especially when they fail to release parts in time for failures. FCA is required to reimburse you for all parts and labor

4. Likes Rob See, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    Keep your receipt. Under any recall especially when they fail to release parts in time for failures. FCA is required to reimburse you for all parts and labor
    Thanks for the heads up. Good thing I still have the receipt

6. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Just food for thought. Might not be needed, but on one recall several years ago, I kept the part in my junk pile and they asked if I can produced the failed part and the receipt for the new one. I could, but they ended up not wanting it and reimbursed me anyway. After the check cleared I threw it out. I don't own Ford anymore.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes walla2k5, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Ya sometimes they will try bending you over asking for junk parts. They really don't care to get them only to see if you can actually produce it

10. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Glad to hear it’s not a difficult swap. I’m at 24k on my 14 without any issues. Have a road trip planned for late feb., just got a gates pump from Rockauto, will pick up a new belt and “OAT” coolant and carry them with me if the dealer can’t replace it by then.

12. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OneTon View Post
    Friday my water pump started leaking at 101,000 and some change. Popped the belt off and the bearing was failed to the point the shaft was wobbling...lucky I didn't snap the shaft and send the pulley through my fan and radiator. Crappy part is that my truck is part of the pump recall, but there are no updated parts available. I ended up going to O'Riley and picking up a Murray CP6222 for $60. So far so good...we shall see on longevity.

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised as to how easy it was to replace the pump...Cummins must have planned on these failing a lot
    Actually @Geno's Garage has the upgraded version. But that doesn't do you much good when you are in a hurry

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Likes walla2k5, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Actually @Geno's Garage has the upgraded version. But that doesn't do you much good when you are in a hurry
    I did notice that Geno's had pumps, but I didn't have the luxury of waiting for one to be shipped.

16. Likes walla2k5, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Glad to hear it’s not a difficult swap. I’m at 24k on my 14 without any issues. Have a road trip planned for late feb., just got a gates pump from Rockauto, will pick up a new belt and “OAT” coolant and carry them with me if the dealer can’t replace it by then.
    Remove air box...remove belt...remove two water pump bolts...install in reverse order. If one rushed it could be done in an hour pretty easily.

18. Likes walla2k5, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

My 14 doesn’t have a radiator cap, did you just Refill the coolant at the plastic overflow tank ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast