Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Front end issues in 4wd

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Front end issues in 4wd

Developed a vibration in the front in the front end only when 4wd is engaged. Snow has been plentiful her in OH recently and last night I had the tuck in 4wd for about 15 miles on snow covered roads. There is a distinct vibration as soon as 4wd is engaged and goes away as soon as I disengage. There is no pulling while driving down the road both in or out of 4wd and no audible grinding noise, just a vibration. My current thoughts for possibilities are front drive shaft or axle u-joints, drive shaft slip yoke, front diff or transfer case.
    I'm the 2nd owner of the truck and currently only has 52k miles. Truck is spotless underneath and very very minimal rust and no mud or dirt caked up underneath like it has been offroad.
    I've replaced front drive shaft u-joins, front axle u-joints and front bearings on my buddy's 2008 3500, so somewhat familiar with the doings of the components up front.
    Before I take it to dealership I wanted investigate a few things. U-joints wouldn't be covered regardless. The other issue I'm up against is being a 2nd owner of a RockyRidge edition 2500 with 6" lift and running 38's from this package, I can see the possibility of them voiding the warranty should it be the transfer case.

Thoughts or ideas of where or what to look at specifically?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Front end issues in 4wd

When was the front drive shaft last greased? Might be a cheap easy way to fix it LOL. Ya never know! If im not mistaken isn't your edition a special edition from the dealership??? If so, all of the lift components, wheels and tires should be included in the warranty if im not mistaken.

Did you buy from an individual or the dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fawver View Post
    Developed a vibration in the front in the front end only when 4wd is engaged. Snow has been plentiful her in OH recently and last night I had the tuck in 4wd for about 15 miles on snow covered roads. There is a distinct vibration as soon as 4wd is engaged and goes away as soon as I disengage. There is no pulling while driving down the road both in or out of 4wd and no audible grinding noise, just a vibration. My current thoughts for possibilities are front drive shaft or axle u-joints, drive shaft slip yoke, front diff or transfer case.
    I'm the 2nd owner of the truck and currently only has 52k miles. Truck is spotless underneath and very very minimal rust and no mud or dirt caked up underneath like it has been offroad.
    I've replaced front drive shaft u-joins, front axle u-joints and front bearings on my buddy's 2008 3500, so somewhat familiar with the doings of the components up front.
    Before I take it to dealership I wanted investigate a few things. U-joints wouldn't be covered regardless. The other issue I'm up against is being a 2nd owner of a RockyRidge edition 2500 with 6" lift and running 38's from this package, I can see the possibility of them voiding the warranty should it be the transfer case. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/im...milies/doh.gif

Thoughts or ideas of where or what to look at specifically? http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/im...onfused013.gif

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I'm the 2nd owner but bought used from a Ford Dealership. Found out my best friends brother n law is a sales manager at a local Jeep/Dodge dealership. He's currently running the VIN to see what is still covered under warranty. Hopefully with knowing someone it can be covered under warranty. After work will be greasing/checking slip yoke and seeing if there is play in either of the front drive shaft u-joints, as well as checking condition and level of front diff oil.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

LEAVE THE STEERING BOX ADJUSTMENT ALONE! IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, YOU CAN COMPOUND PROBLEMS.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fawver View Post
    I'm the 2nd owner but bought used from a Ford Dealership. Found out my best friends brother n law is a sales manager at a local Jeep/Dodge dealership. He's currently running the VIN to see what is still covered under warranty. Hopefully with knowing someone it can be covered under warranty. After work will be greasing/checking slip yoke and seeing if there is play in either of the front drive shaft u-joints, as well as checking condition and level of front diff oil.
    Personally I would never buy a Cummins Ram from a ford dealer

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Personally I would never buy a Cummins Ram from a ford dealer
    LOL