Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warranty Issues On New Truck After Tunning

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Warranty Issues On New Truck After Tunning

So.... I just got a new 2018 2500. I don't want to change out or add any hard parts yet, but i really want to tune it. Problem is I have reservations about tuning it and then having a major issue (warranty issue) which may or may not be caused by the tuning and the dealer does not want to honer my warranty. Say my truck was completely stock except I had been running a basic low power street tune and had a major problem with the trans at 35k miles, that wasn't cause by the tune and the dealer wont warranty it and I get stuck with a 4k bill. I was wondering if any of you guys have had a situation like this? How did it work out for you?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Warranty Issues On New Truck After Tunning

Just to let you know bro 4K won’t get you squat on a tranny more like 6K and up

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Likes kflynn318 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

But I have the best auto tranny guy in the buisness I deal with down in my neck of the woods

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

@niteghost I went through these same questions when I bought my truck and shortly after was debating deleting it. 70k miles later and I have only needed to get minor warranty work done so far.

Anything that adds power is traceable if they look hard enough. This is why products that 'fool' the ecm like Pedal Commander and BD Throttle Sensitivity Booster are so popular. These do not make more power, they just trick the ecm into thinking pedal is being pushed harder than it really is.

In reality, this is going to have more to do with your dealership than anything. See if you can have a talk with thier Diesel Tech and ask him what kind of failures they are seeing and if warranty covers them. Some (like mine) are happy to do any kind of warranty work they can get. Others are just happy doing oil changes.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Likes walla2k5, 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Just to let you know bro 4K won’t get you squat on a tranny more like 6K and up
    OUCH. That would sting

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

More then likely you "shouldn't" have any issues with the powertrain. It's all the other stuff that goes wrong on these things. As long as you drive it right and now when to let out of the go fast pedal and know when your tranny is getting to hot you will be perfectly fine. Heck i had an H&S on my 2012 G56 and ran it on the hottest setting for 2 years straight with the stock clutch. It's all in how you drive.

Just make sure when you need to tow bump down the tunes a little bit. Eventually you will begin to find the sweet spot for whatever driving you are doing at the time.

Now say you did have an issue and you took everything off put it back to stock and took it to the dealer. I have heard of guys getting lucky in doing this and the dealer just replaced it under warranty. Others dove deep in and hooked up the scanners and found that the pressures and what not were out of dealer spec so they knew it had been tampered with. Kind of luck of the draw.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    More then likely you "shouldn't" have any issues with the powertrain. It's all the other stuff that goes wrong on these things. As long as you drive it right and now when to let out of the go fast pedal and know when your tranny is getting to hot you will be perfectly fine. Heck i had an H&S on my 2012 G56 and ran it on the hottest setting for 2 years straight with the stock clutch. It's all in how you drive.

Just make sure when you need to tow bump down the tunes a little bit. Eventually you will begin to find the sweet spot for whatever driving you are doing at the time.

Now say you did have an issue and you took everything off put it back to stock and took it to the dealer. I have heard of guys getting lucky in doing this and the dealer just replaced it under warranty. Others dove deep in and hooked up the scanners and found that the pressures and what not were out of dealer spec so they knew it had been tampered with. Kind of luck of the draw.
    Thanks for responding.

I'm not really a hard driver, I'll call on it every once and a wile but I don't run anything I have hard ALL the time.

11. Likes Power247 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Perfect! Then yeah you should be just fine. To help ease your mind as well do a google search and search through this forum as well. Lots of folk have gone through this and have posted about it. Should help put your mind at ease for sure.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

13. Likes Power247 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    Perfect! Then yeah you should be just fine. To help ease your mind as well do a google search and search through this forum as well. Lots of folk have gone through this and have posted about it. Should help put your mind at ease for sure.
    Yeah I'm doing a lot of looking on there and getting a better feel for all of. Appreciate your help.

15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

"Put all the parts back" Ughhhhh.....That would be a huge pain!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast