Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When should you re-gear?

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

When should you re-gear?

When adding larger tires when is the right time to re-gear. I have heard once you go to 37s is the time to do it. Is it dependent upon your driving style? Let’s say a grocery getter daily driver highway miles and city driving. Do I need to regear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: When should you re-gear?

I’d say that most of the time it’s dependent on if you are using the truck for towing. The combination of 37”+ tires, 3.42 gears and a load out back can roast a 68RFE quickly. Even Revmax won’t warranty their transmissions if a customer is running larger than a 35” tire without re gearing.

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

X2 ^^^^^

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yes always re gear when towing often / all the time ,heavy loads. if your just city driving, daily driver no towing,occasional tow very short distance and light loads re gearing not necessary. IMO.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

6. Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

even with 35' I should re gear ? .. I tow a horse trailer with LQ 3-4 times a month..

8. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidfire_70 View Post
    even with 35' I should re gear ? .. I tow a horse trailer with LQ 3-4 times a month..
    Depends what gearing you have stock.

I tow a 3 horse LQ with mine with no problem and about to step up to 35x12.50's from my 255 80's.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

10. Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Booch035 View Post
    Depends what gearing you have stock.

I tow a 3 horse LQ with mine with no problem and about to step up to 35x12.50's from my 255 80's.
    2018 Ram 2500 stock gear i think are 3.42 with stock tires > upgrading to 22x10 or 12 with 35' tires

12. Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidfire_70 View Post
    2018 Ram 2500 stock gear i think are 3.42 with stock tires > upgrading to 22x10 or 12 with 35' tires
    If you have the auto tranny always lock it out of 6th gear. Also if you are pulling a lq horse trailer with a 2500 I would hit the scales with it. Good chance you are over weight for the truck. But thats just my two cents.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by InlineSix.7 View Post
    I’d say that most of the time it’s dependent on if you are using the truck for towing. The combination of 37”+ tires, 3.42 gears and a load out back can roast a 68RFE quickly. Even Revmax won’t warranty their transmissions if a customer is running larger than a 35” tire without re gearing.

Sort of agreed.

The 68 is pretty stout if you don't lug it.

Gotta keep the revs up.

37's look cool but impractical.

Looking cool and working the truck are two different things.

You'll also suffer severely mpg wise around town too.

I have 32"s with 342's and pay when towing slow up hills and around town, but it will still tear down a house.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

15. Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Sort of agreed.

The 68 is pretty stout if you don't lug it.

Gotta keep the revs up.

37's look cool but impractical.

Looking cool and working the truck are two different things.

You'll also suffer severely mpg wise around town too.

I have 32"s with 342's and pay when towing slow up hills and around town, but it will still tear down a house.
    I agree very impractical but Isn’t looking good half the battle LOL I don’t tow and don’t plan on towing. I currently have 35s with 22x14s. Considering getting rid of the 22x14s and possibly looking at 37tall with a 10 or 12” wide rim. Only hauling I do is the grocery’s back to my house.

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast