Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Aftermarket exhaust brake with a turbo swap?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Aftermarket exhaust brake with a turbo swap?

Do ya need an aftermarket exhaust brake with a 2nd or 3rd gen swap? Would the stock setup become totally useless wthout the VGT?

Or would it still work but just not as well as original?

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Aftermarket exhaust brake with a turbo swap?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
    Do ya need an aftermarket exhaust brake with a 2nd or 3rd gen swap? Would the stock setup become totally useless wthout the VGT?

You have to have the VGT to use the stock brake, all it does is close the fins in the turbo to restrict the exhaust flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Depends on the kit- I believe BD makes a kit that utilizes factory switch.

Are you on the market for a new turbo and wanting to keep exhaust brake?

As for the function most people think the aftermarket brakes are better than OEM and have more stopping power

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post

As for the function most people think the aftermarket brakes are better than OEM and have more stopping power
    BD makes an in-line exhaust brake that plugs into the wiring harness and operates just like factory VGT brake. It does require on board air to function.

Supposed to be quite effective from what I’ve read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

8. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post

Yeah I was ponderin an Aurora 3000 windmill. That should work fine since I ain’t plannin on crankin horsepower way up or tryin to pull a house down the road.

So the stock one has nothin on the valvetrain compression related, it relies entirely on them turbo vanes?

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yeah I was ponderin an Aurora 3000 windmill. That should work fine since I ain’t plannin on crankin horsepower way up or tryin to pull a house down the road.

So the stock one has nothin on the valvetrain compression related, it relies entirely on them turbo vanes?
    Correct on that. The only engine braking comes through the VGT vanes constricting exhaust flow on the way out. Pacbrake makes an engine mounted brake (weeper design) but from what I see it works best in conjunction with the VGT exhaust brake.

IMG_2370.jpg

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

12. Thanks BlackBart, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Crap....

I wonderin which way I wanna go as far as a manifold redo, 2nd gen or 3rd. An aftermarket exhaust brake attached to a 3rd gen manifold would be WAY the hell back there about near unreachable. A little easier methinks on a 2nd gen setup.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Crap....

I wonderin which way I wanna go as far as a manifold redo, 2nd gen or 3rd. An aftermarket exhaust brake attached to a 3rd gen manifold would be WAY the hell back there about near unreachable. A little easier methinks on a 2nd gen setup.
    Second gen swap will get you the HX40 downpipe which is forward the firewall a bit more than the stuffed 3rd gen style. That being said you’d have to pull manifold and down pipe for turbo and manifold swap so you could save some money and do EB brake work While you have things apart. Either one will be a bit of booger to get!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Likes watersupply189, Power247, InlineSix.7 liked this post