Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  26

Thread: EGT Temps

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

EGT Temps

Now that I have my EGT installed and EGR deleted, what kind of temps are you guys running? I live at 5k' and run and tow over 11k. I have a 5k lbs trailer. I have heard numbers all the way from 800-1300 degs.
    lets hear it from the experts..

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: EGT Temps

Quote Originally Posted by carden260 View Post
    Now that I have my EGT installed and EGR deleted, what kind of temps are you guys running? I live at 5k' and run and tow over 11k. I have a 5k lbs trailer. I have heard numbers all the way from 800-1300 degs.
    lets hear it from the experts..
    I tow a 15k fifth wheel and have the probe installed in the rear cooler block off plate. It’s my understanding that that location reads about 150-200 degrees cooler than if mounted in the manifold. So, I try to keep mine below 1100.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have mine mounted in the rear block off plate as well. I see 550-650 at 65-75 mph depending on the road. Under moderate throttle I’ve seen 780ish. I’ll be curious to see what I get while towing my 7k trailer. Also would like to hear from some more experienced folks.

2012 RAM / 3500 CCLB / 68RFE / 20x10 Ultra Hunter -25mm offset wrapped in 295/55 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro / MM3 with custom tuning by Double R Diesel / Flo-Pro 4” turbo back exhaust (w/o muffler) / *** EGR delete kit / throttle valve delete

4. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I back down around 1300, though I have been higher in 3rd gens.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have been looking at several threads all over the internet as I will be adding EGT probe sooner than later. My understanding is the 6.7s can take much more heat for short periods than the 5.9s. They Regen stock about 1400*-1500*. I think anything below 1100* would be fine sustained. Above that then keep an eye on it.

These temps would be pre-turbo in the manifold collection area

Waiting for more to chime in who tow heavy!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Used to see 1350 all the time with H&S tuning. Smarty/RaceMe ran nearly 200 less on the same power level. With DRD tuning I don't even think about it anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Great White thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I agree with TH-64, rays tuning seems to be the best for temps and also more low end drivability! I didn’t have H&S but had the raceme ultra and could hit 1,350-1,400* towing heavy (15k trailer) up a hard grade on a hot day. Rays I don’t even know if I’ve hit 1,250* yet. Also I switched my pyro from the egr block off plate to the manifold right before the turbo and didn’t seem to see a difference in tempture reading, maybe 50* over 1000*.

2016 Ram 2500 CCLB 4x4 Laramie 68RFE
    Raceme w/ warp tuning from DoubleRDiesel, *** egr delete, CCV filter gutted & re-routed, airfilter tube gutted, 4” FloPro Twister & 51” Donaldson muffler, BD Diesel 68 protect plate, TBV Delete, Mag-Hytec trans pan
    Future:Thuren Coils & Track bar, ARP625’s

10. Thanks OverkillNeverFails thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, Yamahamod liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

800 to 1300 is not unusual. But if your running at 1100, down shift a gear. Lugging makes the EGT's go up. Too much fuel will too. I cruise at 550* at 65 MPH on my 5.9. With 11K my EGT's will get up there too.

It's debatable if the 6.7 will take more heat than the 5.9. The 6.7 mean time was considerably derated because of the extreme Regen heats way back in the late 00's. The 6.7 is basically the same engine at much tighter tolerances. It's supposed to be a better built engine.

Hope that answers your question

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have 2014 with mm3 and drd tunes and mounted the egt probe in the collector, but it does not seam to be reading right when I park and put it in park it will drop from 550 to 200 in less then a minute.
    When I had the cts2 it would take like 3 min to get to 350. I don’t get what’s wrong.

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.