Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  23

Thread: Cold Weather and Delete

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Cold Weather and Delete

So who has any experience with Deleted tunes and Cold Climates in Newer trucks? I have a 2018 with delete and tunes from DRD, I live in CO. and its starting to cool off at night. I was up in mountains camping and it got down to the mid 30's overnight and when I got ready to leave I started my truck and it ran rougher than a cobb for about 5 min. I was at 11K feet and like I mentioned it was around 35 deg. overnight. Prior to my delete my truck could sit outside overnight in 10 degs and start right up and purr. Any input?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Cold Weather and Delete

Mine will do that if I have ya set at 120hp or higher if I turn it down to 60-90 also turbo at mild or lower. Not sure what tunes you have or settings but that helped mine in winter

2015 ram 2500 Laramie amp steps line x the box 18" outlaw wheels bfg rigid terrain tires raceme ultra sinister egr delete flopro pipe

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

@Double R Diesel?

Let's see what Ray says about this.

*Ask about becoming a Lifetime Platinum Member Today*

"The grass is greener where you water it"

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carden260 View Post
    So who has any experience with Deleted tunes and Cold Climates in Newer trucks? I have a 2018 with delete and tunes from DRD, I live in CO. and its starting to cool off at night. I was up in mountains camping and it got down to the mid 30's overnight and when I got ready to leave I started my truck and it ran rougher than a cobb for about 5 min. I was at 11K feet and like I mentioned it was around 35 deg. overnight. Prior to my delete my truck could sit outside overnight in 10 degs and start right up and purr. Any input?
    Didn't you email me stating your grid heater had stopped working?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Yea that was me. I don’t know if grid heat is working or not. That’s why I asked about cold starting. I have no way of testing it. I am back down off mountains and it’s in the 80’s. I get the coil icon message when it starts but I think that’s the self-test on power up.
    Last winter when it was cold I would get a power meter of sorts on the left side of the dash and a delay in a start. I’ll have to ask the dealer if there is a way to test it since it’s controlled by ecu. I don’t feel like taking my truck in for troubleshooting since it’s deleted now unless I have too.

Jason

10. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carden260 View Post
    Yea that was me. I don’t know if grid heat is working or not. That’s why I asked about cold starting. I have no way of testing it. I am back down off mountains and it’s in the 80’s. I get the coil icon message when it starts but I think that’s the self-test on power up.
    Last winter when it was cold I would get a power meter of sorts on the left side of the dash and a delay in a start. I’ll have to ask the dealer if there is a way to test it since it’s controlled by ecu. I don’t feel like taking my truck in for troubleshooting since it’s deleted now unless I have too.

Jason
    Unless you got ahold of some funky fuel, it should run fine after the engine starts...provided you are not running a 12V tune. Even if the grid heater was not working, once it starts it should smooth out pretty quick. Now 12V tunes are a different story...they don't run smooth till the engine has some heat in it.

You merely asked me about the grid heater and I explained tuning does not effect that. However it may not be the grid heater.

If it continues, send me some data logs. I'll be glad to look and see what I see once the hurricane gets behind us.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, walla2k5 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

All I know is i experience the same thing so does my brother both running raceme ultra yes still the box tunes. My buddy has mm3 I do not know the tuner for the mm3. We love in Iowa very cold winters at times as well and yes if we all have it set at 120-150 we experience this we have all talked about it. So we turn down the go to I think 60 spool to economy trimming 23 and rail to 1800 if I remember right and it will not do rough idle. Mine would do a smoke show for about 2-4 min when First starting up any higher hp again Idk what you run for settings but that has resolved mine exp when it’s -10 all the way to 30 or so degrees.

2015 ram 2500 Laramie amp steps line x the box 18" outlaw wheels bfg rigid terrain tires raceme ultra sinister egr delete flopro pipe

14. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I was towing my toy hauler so I had it in the 30 hp tune. #0 on the switch panel. I will wait till it cools off down in town unless we go dirt biking up in mountains again. Thanks for all the input.

16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

My truck only starts rough if it’s cold and it’s still set on the 12v tune. Other than that, it starts and runs pretty smooth

17. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post