Thanks Thanks:  73
Likes Likes:  250
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Holset HE351VE possible actuator issue

1. Top Of Page | #91

User Info Menu

Re: 2011 Holset HE351VE possible actuator issue

Yeah. I had a low boost tune in it to start. I loaded a new tune and was about 100 miles into the new tune before I started using the EB. I think the vanes had soothed up from the low boost fueling. I had a problem with the tune as well as the truck started surging from the actuator at idle. The regular fueling tune stopped it.
    I had rest the codes 2 days ago and have put over 100 miles since then with no codes. Had a low boost issue today after the truck used the EB down thru 3 gears. Clacked like crazy until I turned the EB off. Then all back to normal.
    Part of the current problem is that my Hydroboost has started to leak and I don't drive hard enough all the time. Mostly 40% throttle max.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk

2. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #92

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    I got it to the other day.

Happened when the brake and tune were trying to do different things.

Like stop because of a Moron and then try to pull away. Set the code. Cleared it and all has been good again.

Currently, my tune makes the EB act like the manuals because it sits to 100% where the factory setting was no more than like 93%.
    Interesting that you say that, thinking back on it the road I was on is kind of a curvy road where I was on and off the throttle.

I put another 200 miles or so on the truck since then and no issues thus far and yes my exhaust brake does act slightly different since the new actuator has been installed, but then again so does the turbo.

At the moment my fuel mileage is up about 1 mpg more than it has been.

I did get fuel at a different station the last fill up, I may get fuel there again next time.

4. Top Of Page | #93

User Info Menu

I have a feeling it is all connected.

The actuator is able to move the vanes faster but I think our ECMS default to the slower rates. So the actuator may move the vanes and react like they should while the ECM is waiting resulting in the vanes moving and returning in under the time it took the old actuator to do just the movement. Could be the reason for the code. Don't know as I have not sat and measured the rates between the actuators. I do know it works, but only time will tell.

The other problem is how the system has adjusted to the bad actuator, it may take time for some of the hidden adjustment tables to correct.

I had the initial bump in mpg too, but then it dropped by 3mpg. When I finally dropped the exhaust, the SCR showed signs of soot getting by at the bottom and the system having been real rich. Think the ecm was constantly trying to Regen but never reached the point.

using Tapatalk

5. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #94

User Info Menu

Alright last post.

Was watching the monitors and I saw something.

Seems at low engine temps the actuator now will blip to 100% when you are either accelerating at low throttle openings or slowing to a stop. I have no issue here as it is not a real problem.

Now, the system is so crappy that it must treat it as a bad response.

I have not had an issue since I cleared my first code.

In fact, it think that my truck now is finally seeing 100% closure where it never did on the factory tune.

The factory tune, I believe, only goes to like 95% max.

Probably how they try to keep the VGT from sticking in a max position.

using Tapatalk

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #95

User Info Menu

Alright last post.

Seems at low engine temps the actuator now will blip to 100% when you are either accelerating at low throttle openings or slowing to a stop. I have no issue here as it is not a real problem.

In fact, it think that my truck now is finally seeing 100% closure where it never did on the factory tune.

using Tapatalk

I have not had another CEL since, I have put on I am guessing another 1,000 miles maybe more.

I can't speak too much for the stock tune as I only ran it for a few days with my MM3 in place.

I seem to recall it going to 100% but I can't say for certain.

For now my truck seems to be running well and I am glad to not be under the hood every night. I will keep my eye out for an unusual VGT readings, but thus far I am very happy with the City Diesel / Geno's actuator.

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #96

User Info Menu

Yeah, mine has not changed.

I went and tuned the truck and now I get surging at idle at times and the p226c code.

I think what I thought was part of the part is part of failure. The worst part is the actuator seems to constantly be trying to go back to 100% at low throttle angles which causes surging just from the vanes.

PI am trying ride it out right now as there is snow and cold weather for tomorrow but I may have to just put my old one back on until I can replace or clean it all.

Truck only has 41000 on it now.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #97

User Info Menu

Alright last post.

using Tapatalk
    cwendel
    I think I can help you with your problem. I'm very sorry I'm just now seeing this thread, we are not very active on the forums yet. Anyone with these symptoms or similar and one of our actuators on a truck thats 2013+ please call us.
    1-800-950-2489
    ask for Jason or you can email me at jason@citydiesel.net

Jason Clifton

13. Thanks cwendel, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, cwendel, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #98

User Info Menu

Sorry to self reply, but it seems that I cannot edit my own post. I just want to reiterate that you should not be seeing the actuator sticking on 100% regardless of ECM tune. Symptoms of the sticking can be a P226c code or a surging at idle with a slight load that may get worse as the engine heats up. This can be caused by sticking vanes, however on some of the original gear boxes we machined for the 2013+ trucks we did not include enough extra clearance for the large factory tolerance of the gear. This leads to the gear binding in the housing the actuator then goes full amperage trying to get to the position thats requested and overshoots getting stuck.

Anyone who suspects they may be affected by this please call us so we can get your information and make it right.

15. Thanks AK Bob, cwendel, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, cwendel, watersupply189, sycoink liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #99

User Info Menu

@cwendel see above information from City Diesel.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

17. Thanks cwendel, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes cwendel, watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #100

User Info Menu

@Jeeper89 see above information from City Diesel.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

19. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes cwendel, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast