Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intake Issues

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Intake Issues

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how do you like the K&N filter?

Have you experienced any type of "dust" getting by?

Have you checked the intake tube right before the turbo?

I've had great success with a completely open K&N filter on other off-road vehicles that see conditions that are considerably more dirty than this on road rig.

I'd really like to put my K&N back in just haven't heard if they will filter the air as required.

I'm eager to hear your experience.

Thanks,
    IMO, on any aftermarket “oiled” filters, if oiled correct would be less worried about the filter oil traveling past and into the intake pathway. I’m more worried about a EGR system or the gunk that gets loaded into the turbo from a CCV.
    I have had many thousands of miles of use with using a K/Nfilter, AFE and S&B filters that are oiled, they were stock replacement ones or using their CAI kits.

The problems I have had were usually my own fault. I learned to not wait as long to clean them. I bought a 2nd filter to run while the other is pulled and soaking in cleaner. This allowed me to take my time and not feel rushed to just get the filter back on.
    So I moved from K/N to AFE because I liked the better filtering that was advertised at the time.

When S&B first came out and still today they are less money compared to a AFE. So that’s why I switched on my last truck I got a S&B cheaper.

And now my current new truck I have a S&B system on it with the paper throw-away filter. These filters are not as expensive as they were in the past.

If you want your filters to look better and last longer the paper or oiled, get a prefilter sack or you can put a black pantyhose over them. This saved me on all of my open lid filters in the past due to all the short pine needles around me.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

2. Likes Thomas1960 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

The K&N has worked fine for me, no dust in the intake tubing and turbo impeller is clean.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Thomas1960 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

That's good to know. I purchased a K&N ran it for about 200 miles and read all the negative remarks about dusting and went back to stock. I like the reusable factor of the K&N - that's a really good idea to have a back up to allow time for proper cleaning and reoiling.

Honestly, I was really surprised to hear all the negative remarks about the K&N. I've ran them open on offroad machines and they out performed UNI and other foam filters. Maybe I'll drop it back in now that I have heard done good!

Cheers,

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

6. Likes Thomas1960 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I know this post is a little older but I recently installed a S&B intake and truck is now sluggish and not running as good. My truck is currently all stock (ordering an MM3 and exhaust from Ray tomorrow) so I was just thinking truck was running this way due to being stock. Looks like stock air box is going back on and unfortunately I ordered this intake a few months ago but just recently installed it.

8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Sounds like an unmetered air leak to me.

9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

You will end up winning in the long run IF YOU THROW AWAY THE K&N OILED FILTER. My God why do people still run these? It is aggravating as all get out.

The stock intake and paper filter is MORE THAN ADEQUATE for your needs and actually filters the air.

Sorry that is just my inner mechanic coming out, many years of off highway engine failure analysis.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

10. Likes RamIt, Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wy4x4 View Post
    You will end up winning in the long run IF YOU THROW AWAY THE K&N OILED FILTER. My God why do people still run these? It is aggravating as all get out.

The stock intake and paper filter is MORE THAN ADEQUATE for your needs and actually filters the air.

Sorry that is just my inner mechanic coming out, many years of off highway engine failure analysis.
    ^^^^x2

12. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    ^^^^x2
    K&N and the other "cold air intake" companies have done a HELL OF A JOB at advertising haven't they? I will give them that!

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

13. Likes RamIt, Power247 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wy4x4 View Post
    K&N and the other "cold air intake" companies have done a HELL OF A JOB at advertising haven't they? I will give them that!
    I've never understood the oiled filter thing, but I have seen plenty of applications suck the oil out of the filter under high boost.

Nothing says performance like using your vacuum pump as a shop vac LOL.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

15. Likes Power247 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Just a warning, several years back, guys had their turbo's eaten alive with the K&N.

Last I heard, Cummins outlawed them, but that could be a dark side rumor

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

17. Likes InlineSix.7, Power247, Thomas1960 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast