Thanks Thanks:  70
Likes Likes:  70
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What caused this cylinder wall damage

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

What caused this cylinder wall damage

Some of you may remember my day after Christmas bandaid and I replaced a bad piston but put the good piston in a damaged cylinder. I.E. Bandaid. Btw 05 CR just hit 125000 yesterday ,I believe its stock other than cold air and straight piped. My question is what caused it to happen I've put 1500 miles scents smash and I can hear it slowly going back to sounding like a 5 cyl and starting to blow a puff of white on cold start, also noticed it ticks or rattles more than before but not horrible valve adj confirmed correct, Ill be almost ready to pull the motor and rebuild it but I need to figure out what caused this before i even come close to starting my fresh rebuild. Any thoughts? Sounds like an injector stuck open could be the cause. One last question on scan dated where should the FCA % reading be at idle. I read on a Chevy Duraslow FCA value close to 20% means time for a new CP3?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Stewbuntu liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I lean towards an injector issue you have. You could always remove them and send them off and have them checked by energy or something.

2015 laramie 3500 CCLB G56 4x4/Thuren springs/trackbar/swaybar with King's on Walker's with 37 Toyo mt's. Raceme/Arp625's/BBI 1.5's/Stainless Diesel 467.7/Airdog 165 4g/Fleece 10mm CP3/GDP grid delete and S3/Hellman VC.....Warp by double r diesel

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AnOldBiker, dmuney liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I second him on an injector. Very common issue with 3rd gen 5.9 The injector hangs and over fuels the cylinder melting the piston. I have seen it on pickups as well as heavy equipment. I would stop driving it until you get it fixed.

6. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes AnOldBiker, dmuney liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Hit up @AccurateDiesel he is a very knowledgeable fuel systems guy and vendor on here. I'm sure he'll set you straight on injectors

2015 laramie 3500 CCLB G56 4x4/Thuren springs/trackbar/swaybar with King's on Walker's with 37 Toyo mt's. Raceme/Arp625's/BBI 1.5's/Stainless Diesel 467.7/Airdog 165 4g/Fleece 10mm CP3/GDP grid delete and S3/Hellman VC.....Warp by double r diesel

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247, AnOldBiker, dmuney liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Thank you. Also agreed it would be the wisest course to have the injectors checked first. We would be glad to help you with that. Feel free to get in touch with me and we can discuss details and make arrangements when the time comes.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AnOldBiker, dmuney liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    Some of you may remember my day after Christmas bandaid and I replaced a bad piston but put the good piston in a damaged cylinder. I.E. Bandaid. Btw 05 CR just hit 125000 yesterday ,I believe its stock other than cold air and straight piped. My question is what caused it to happen I've put 1500 miles scents smash and I can hear it slowly going back to sounding like a 5 cyl and starting to blow a puff of white on cold start, also noticed it ticks or rattles more than before but not horrible valve adj confirmed correct, Ill be almost ready to pull the motor and rebuild it but I need to figure out what caused this before i even come close to starting my fresh rebuild. Any thoughts? Sounds like an injector stuck open could be the cause. One last question on scan dated where should the FCA % reading be at idle. I read on a Chevy Duraslow FCA value close to 20% means time for a new CP3?
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshotkyle View Post
    Hit up @AccurateDiesel he is a very knowledgeable fuel systems guy and vendor on here. I'm sure he'll set you straight on injectors
    I talked to tim today as a matter of fact.

I remember this. As I recall the cylinder was gouged? May the rings may have made more damage, or they have been damaged. But as said, you can't rule out the injector.

We're pretty sure Alex broke some rings when his valve spanner fell off.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

What caused this cylinder wall damage

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I talked to tim today as a matter of fact.

I remember this. As I recall the cylinder was gouged? May the rings may have made more damage, or they have been damaged. But as said, you can't rule out the injector.

We're pretty sure Alex broke some rings when his valve spanner fell off.
    Ok sounds good I'm glad you mentioned that about Alex ring may be broke due to spanner coming off a close friend of mine bought a 99 for almost nothing and all he did was pull valve cover a found 1 spanner fell off he put it back together and ever sense he be complaining about some noise he suspected rod baring . Now I'll tell him nope rings. As for mine yes cyl walls scratched from broken rings but the crater were top ring is at TDC and only wore the bore on the pushrod side but it looks deep may need a liner installed in the cylinder to save it

Sent by meAttachment 3023Attachment 3024. Just a refresh of damage

14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ranger1987 View Post
    I second him on an injector. Very common issue with 3rd gen 5.9 The injector hangs and over fuels the cylinder melting the piston. I have seen it on pickups as well as heavy equipment. I would stop driving it until you get it fixed.
    I had the head off a month or so ago and replaced 1 piston because of blowby the rings were shattered and I suppose the piston was slightly burned how does a diesel piston look when it burns a gas motor melts a hole in top or gets burned away from behind the rings here is a pic of the old piston

Sent from my crib

15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Some of you may remember my day after Christmas bandaid and I replaced a bad piston but put the good piston in a damaged cylinder. I.E. Bandaid. Btw 05 CR just hit 125000 yesterday
    I believe there is your issue,
    you did not say you honed, or did any repair to the cylinder. you may have an injector issue as well or as the root of the problem that caused the piston, but a scored cylinder, and just sliding a good piston in is a bandaid as you had said and only that. knowing that is an issue, i would fix that first and do injectors while you have it apart, so you know you won't be in there again.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

16. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes AnOldBiker, dmuney liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I had the head off a month or so ago and replaced 1 piston because of blowby the rings were shattered and I suppose the piston was slightly burned how does a diesel piston look when it burns a gas motor melts a hole in top or gets burned away from behind the rings here is a pic of the old pistonhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...4ae7d02077.jpg

Sent from my crib
    The last one i dealt with was completely melted on the top. I did need to put a new liner in as well. This was a Doosan excavator engine that uses the same bosch injection system. Can you see the injector spray pattern torched in the top? Is the outer perimeter of the piston melted? How much white smoke was coming out of your truck?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sold. 1999 2500 24v auto. 53 block casualty. Edge comp, 5" exhaust, intake, leveled on 37s
    Sold. 1992 2500 reg cab 5 speed. pods, sb clutch, terrible paintjob
    Sold. 2004 3500 single wheel ccsb. udc tuned smarty, G56 swapped from auto, dual disc valair, ladder bars, 2nd gen swapped manifold, super b special, arp studded, 33% pump, 60hp injectors and bunch of other stuff that I forgot about.

18. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast